Sisal carpet and rugs are made from the fibers of a cactus plant native to Africa and Brazil. These fibers are cut, dried and treated to produce twine that can then be woven into rugs. Just like hemp and coir, sisal provides durability that most manmade materials can’t match. Because of its durability, sisal doesn’t show the wear patterns common in wall-to-wall carpeting. If you are searching for sisal carpet in the Waukesha, Brookfield, Milwaukee area, Floor Coverings International Waukesha is able to provide you with a wide selection of varieties.
The Benefits of Sisal Carpets
Sisal carpet is growing in popularity in Brookfield and Waukesha because of its rustic look and earth-friendliness. Other benefits of sisal carpet include:
- It’s naturally stain-resistant, so it doesn’t require any chemical treatments that may be harmful to children and pets.
- It repels dust and static electricity.
- It absorbs sound better than other carpeting material.
- It’s naturally flame-resistant.
- It’s non-toxic and won’t give off volatile organic compounds (VOC’s) like other synthetic types of carpet.
- It can be combined with other natural fibers such as wool or seagrass.
The Disadvantages of Sisal Carpets
Sisal carpet does have its weaknesses: it is prone to water stain, therefore it shouldn’t be used in areas where water spills are likely, such as kitchens and bathrooms. You will want to make sure that the carpet is never steam cleaned or wet shampooed. These peculiarities can make sisal carpets more high maintenance than other types of carpets, however with regular vacuuming and/or sweeping, a durable sisal carpet will last in your home for years and years.
The Brookfield and Waukesha Flooring Experts
Let the experts at Floor Coverings International Waukesha help you find a sisal carpet that’s just right for you and your home. Contact us today to schedule your free in-home estimate. We’ll bring a selection of samples right to your door.
You might also be interested in:
Photo © David Papazian