An increasing number of Brookfield homeowners are choosing engineered hardwood for their homes. This gorgeous hardwood option has many advantages over traditional solid hardwood. At Floor Coverings International Waukesha, we help families in the greater Waukesha, Brookfield, Milwaukee area decide if engineered hardwood is right for them. Read on for more information about the benefits of engineered hardwood.
How It’s Made
Traditional hardwood is solid. This means that it is made from one continuous cut of wood. Trees are cut into blocks, sanded, and finished, resulting in a hardwood. Engineered hardwood takes advantage of emerging technology to make hardwood more efficiently. Solid wood is “sliced” off of a tree with a knife and adhered to a composite base layer. The main difference is that whereas solid hardwood is 100% oak, for example, engineered oak hardwood is 90% composite wood with an oak veneer.
Advantages of Engineered Hardwood
Engineered hardwood has a number of advantages over solid hardwood, including:
- Ease of Installation: it’s easier to install than solid hardwood and can be done by professional in less time.
- Water Resistance: because much of an engineered hardwood board is composite wood and not solid hardwood, moisture is less of an issue. You can even install engineered hardwood directly on concrete floors. This means you can have hardwood in your basement!
- Affordability: engineered hardwood offers a great value.
- Sustainability: the manufacturing process is much more efficient than solid hardwood because there is no sawdust left over. This means that engineered hardwood has less of a negative impact on the environment.
Disadvantages of Engineered Hardwood
Although engineered hardwood is an excellent choice for most Brookfield homeowners, there are a few situations where solid hardwood is preferable. Solid hardwood lasts longer than engineered hardwood because it can be refinished up to ten times. An engineered hardwood can only be refinished three or four times. In addition, engineered hardwood is new to the market and does not come in as many varieties.
For more information about engineered hardwood and to schedule your free, in-home consultation, give your local flooring experts at Floor Coverings International Waukesha a call today. We proudly serve the greater Waukesha, Brookfield, Milwaukee area.
You Might Also Enjoy:
- Birch Hardwood Flooring in Brookfield
- Distressed Hardwood Flooring in Brookfield
- Hardwood Flooring Store in Brookfield
- Maple Hardwood Flooring in Waukesha, WI
- Oak Hardwood Flooring in Waukesha
- Parquet Flooring in Brookfield, Waukesha, and Milwaukee
- Pine Flooring in Waukesha
- Plank Hardwood Flooring in Waukesha
- Red Oak Flooring in Brookfield, Waukesha, and Milwaukee
- Solid Hardwood Flooring in Brookfield
- Unfinished Hardwood Flooring in Waukesha, WI
- White Oak Flooring for Brookfield, Waukesha, and Milwaukee
Photo © midascode